Combat Saber Tournament 2017
The 3rd annual Combat Saber Tournament was held in Singapore at Liang Court, on 24 November 2017.
Featuring tougher competition, hand-and-head targets and a whole series of competitive duels, the 2017 Saber Tournament was a continued improvement over the previous year's setup with a good mix of younger and older members.
The action started at 6pm and lasted until 9pm with 14 combatants participating across 27 sets of duels to win the top prize of S$1800 cash.
As with previous tournaments, 2 combatants enter into a duel in an octagon arena 8 meters wide.
Targets allowed are: 1) the base of the hilt, 2) weapon hand up to elbow plus 3) head target.
Other targets were not allowed as the Combat Saber System is based on an unarmored blade combat martial art.
Taking out the opponent's weapon hand is the first priority.
- Single Saber
- Head strike only 1pt
- Hand strike only 2pts
- Hand and head in consecutive striking 5pts
- Head to Hand only 3pts
- Fencing Masks/Kendo Masks
- LaCrosse Gloves
- Holding a single chamber for more than 4 secs results in a 1pt penalty
- Stepping out of arena results in a 2pts penalty
- Trading head strikes between combatants beyond 2 points each will result in a 3 point deduction for each combatant
- Slashes Diagonal, Horizontal, Vertical with Fluid, Circular, Broken energy
- Thrusts only to the hand and protected area of the head.
Sabers, Gear & Results
At this level, all combatants use their own sabers which are from pre-approved brands.
Blades are 32" in length and no hand or cross guards allowed.
Vaders Vault, Sabermach, SaberTrio, Ultrasabers and Fusion sabers were the only sabers used in the tournament.
Protective headgear is compulsory and lacrosse style gloves were used for the best flexibility and protection.
Tournament Champion 2017: Cai YiQing
Runner Up: Adrian Lin
3rd Position: Colin Tay
4th Position: Thomas Lau